Re: install dpkg without dpkg

Miguel Griffa <mgriffa@technisys.com.ar> wrote:
>Hi,
>	I posted a similar msg few days ago, and having no response, I
>reformule :)
>
>My woody system got severrr FS damage, and lots of binaries are broken
>(including  apt, dpkg...)
>how can I install dpkg and apt ?

Look in the project/dpkg directory of your Debian mirror: there are
dpkg-$(version)_$(arch).nondebbin.tar.gz files there for this purpose.
Then install apt and other necessary packages with dpkg.

>also, how can I reinstall all installed packages?

You might be able to find out what packages were installed by looking in
/var/lib/dpkg/status, if it's still there, for packages in the 'install
ok installed' status. Then you can dump those into 'dpkg
--set-selections' ("packagename install", one per line) and run 'dselect
install'.

Good luck,