netscape 4.76 freezes

hi *

i'm running debian gnu/linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.19 on a
- dual pIII/667MHz
- i82555 ether express pro/100 onboard lan controller
- 128MB ram

i have xf86 with icewm as window manager. i'm using netscape 4.76 browser. the machine is connectet to my masq-router running ipchains to reach the internet.

now the problem:
every now and then (i REALLY dont know at what specific actions) netscape freezes up my machine. i cannot do anything but switch off and let fsck do its magic.
has anyone of you experienced this also? i have smp activated in the kernel, to use both of my processors. maybe thats a problem? i read several mailing list archives and the problem does seem to be known. only i havent found a solution yet.

thanx in advance

rob