Re: Getting CPU model and speed without rebooting

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Danie Roux wrote:

> I want to get the CPU's model and speed without rebooting.
>
> /proc/cpuinfo (to me anyway) is useless. Unless someone knows how to convert:
>
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
>
> To a PIII/450?

A few lines down you should see something like:
cpu MHz         : 199.906

That should give you the speed.  and you already know (from above) the
model.

Failing that the messages generated at boot are available in dmesg
ie
dmesg|egrep 'Detected.*MHz processor'
Detected 199.906 MHz processor.

I don't have access to any alphas but the above holds true for spark.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */