Re: Getting a 'woody' distribution

on Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 04:56:50PM +0100, Mr Andrew James Wood (andrew.wood@ic.ac.uk) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Due to various reasons (most particularly desire for UDMA 100 support
> and I need XFree 4) I want to get a distribution of woody. I know it's
> in the testing phase, but I'm happy to take that risk. Want I want to
> know is how I can make myself a CD set of woody from a machine that is
> not debian (but is unix...)?

Install latest stable through the base system itself -- that's NO
ADDITIONAL PACKAGES.

Change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to read:

----------------------------------< start >----------------------------------
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

...and run

    $ apt-get dist-upgrade

...you'll now be on Woody.  Install packages as normal.

If you need to get an offline installation, I believe you'll want to
look at various apt-mirror packages and such.  There are no official
ISOs of wood, it's testing.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!