Re: soundblaster sb 16

Markus Hansen wrote:

> Glen Snyder wrote:
>
> > If it's any help, I have an ISA sb16, and haven't had any problem with
> > it. I just recompiled the kernel, and enabled Sound Card Support, OSS
> > sound modules, then selected 100% sound blaster compatibles
> > -Glen
> >
> > --
>
> this sounds nice, how to do this?
> thank you
> markus

First, back up any important files you might have. Your lilo.conf file will be
changed as well, so just in case things don't work, have handy the rescue diskette
that you made when you installed Debian.

You just use apt-get install with the newest kernel-source for your distribution.
That is kernel-source-2.2.19 for potato and kernel-source-2.4.7 for woody right
now. You also need to apt-get install kernel-package. You then unzip and untar the
downloaded file in /usr/src change into the directory which is created and use
"make menuconfig"  or "make xconfig" ("make config" will also work). You will have
a menu with all of the kernel options as well as help with suggested settings.
When you are done, you use  make-kpkg to create a custom deb file with your new
kernel.  See  the README file in /usr/doc/kernel-package for the details from
there on out. The documentation is pretty good, and make-kpkg will set things up
nicely. If you want to change things again (if you forget to enable ppp support or
parallel port support, for example), go back to make menuconfig. Also change the
custom name extension when you make the new deb file with make-kpkg (that's in the
documentation).
I was pretty nervous about rebuilding the kernel the first time, but once you see
that you can always go back and change things, it is not bad at all (plan to spend
a couple of hours on it the first time, though).

You can also get good advice from the readme with the kernel source. Just drop the
documentation after "make menuconfig" and follow the instructions in the
documentation for kernel-package.

-Glen