IP_Tables in Potato vs. Woody

I have written an IPTables set of firewall rules on a developement system
that I want to use on a stand alone Debian firewall.

Would I be better off compiling a 2.4.x kernel into Potato, or just go
with the testing release of Woody?

And does anyone have a precompiled list of base packages that can be
safely removed and still have a working bare-bones Debian install?  For
the firewall, if I don't absolutely need the package, it needs to go
bye-bye.

--
Lance Peterson
dlancep@onebox.com - email