RE: gdm and xdm contd.

Glen wrote:

> I guess I'll rephrase the question.
> I can't start gnome using gdm or xdm under a clean  install of Woody  that
> I just did. The screen goes black, then returns to the menu. Since the
> login menu displays ok and the curser moves fine, I don't think it is a
> problem with my xf86config.
>
> Any idea which log files should I look at to find out where the error
> is so I can find out what is configured wrong?...or ideas on which debs I
> should try purging and reinstalling?
> I can use pon to connect on the internet, so reinstalling portions of the
> distro are not a problem, but I would rather not reinstall everything from
> scratch.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Glen

Try killing GDM/XDM with "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" or "/etc/init.d/xdm
stop" and then run "startx" from the console prompt.  If X is not
starting for some reason, I can usually find out the problem here.  The
screen will fill up with the commands to start X as they are executed,
and it will show where the process bombs.  Usually it is because it
cannot find a required device or files (like the mouse or the fonts,
etc.).  Correct this and try again.  Once you can boot up using startx,
then you can restart GDM/XDM and it should work correctly.

I have recently upgraded to "testing" from "potato" via the apt-get
dist-upgrade route.  On TWO different occasions, I have run into
problems getting the new fonts installed properly, which caused the
exact same sympotoms you are having.  Re-installing the font packages
"cured" it for me.

There are probably better methods, but this "works for me"
.

HTH & Cheers,
-Don Spoon-