Re: Starting a GPL'ed Blackhole Service to Replace MAPS

also sprach John Bacalle (on Tue, 24 Jul 2001 06:05:36AM -0400):
> Sorry, I vapor locked, I meant the rbldns program:
>
>    RE: <http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/rbldns.html>
>
>    rbldns is an IP-address-listing DNS server. It accepts iterative DNS
>    queries from hosts around the Internet asking about various IP
>    addresses. It provides responses showing whether the addresses are on
>    a locally configured list, such as RBL or DUL.

same thing. D.J. Bernstein has dorky rules. if at all, freerbl.org
will run on BIND 9.

> > however, given that i personally like orbl.org a lot, i am considering
> > throwing freerbl.org away and helping orbl.org becoming GPL...
>
> Well, that has been the problem, as I see it. There are a bunch of ORBS
> replacements that popped up once orbs.org went kaput on 2001/5/31, they
> are all reinventing the wheel, time-after-time. That's very wasteful on
> many fronts. And none of them has been GPL'ing neither the
> submitted/created databases nor the code they write either. Now that
> MAPS is effing it up for everybody the need for a GPL'ed service is more
> acute.

exactly. that's why i might try to get my powers into orbl.org's
becoming a GPL thingy, rather than setting up enemy camp.

be nice to your kids. they'll choose your nursing home.