Further Adventures of my ESS 1888

I posted a message about my ESS 1888 on my Dell Laptop card last week,
and am grateful for the most useful replies I got.

Aagain, According to Windows95 it is an ESS 1688 Audiodrive (although
according to Dell it is a ESS 1888)
I/O Range  0240 - 024F
         0388-038B
         0330-0331
IRQs 5 and 9
DMA 00 and DMA 03

So I added the following to /etc/modutils/sound after reading the
Kernel Sound documentation:

alias char-major-14 sb
post-install sb /sbin/modprobe "-k" "ess1888"
options sb io=0x240 irq=5 dma=0  mpu_io=0x330 esstype=1888

and the following to /etc/modules
 soundcore
 soundlow
 sound
 uart401
 sb io=0x240 dma=0 irq=5 esstype=1888

all goes fine until I get to
insmod sb io=0x240 dma=0 irq=5 esstype=1888
 when I get the following error:

Using /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

I recursively greped through /etc to find IRQ and DMA settings of other
devices, and failed to find any obvious conflicts, I removed all files
pertaining to my failed attempt to install ALSA from /etc. I've played
around with the sb settings to see if that fixes the problem, all to
know avail.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next.

Thanks

Kieren