Problem with apt-get removing a package

I may have messed up my package database...

I installed CUPS (1.0.4-9) via Ximian RedCarpet. That went fine.

Then I realized that I needed a new version. I downloaded release 1.1.9
from the http://www.cups.org site (the Linux 2.2 deb file) and did an
install.

That did not go fine - there were all sorts of errors. Since it looked
like a conflict, I tried to remove cups. That is where I am now. I want
to completely remove cups and start with the fresh 1.1.9 deb so that I
know what I have.

However, when I execute

apt-get remove cupsys

I get a message "subprocess pre-removal script returned error status 1"

and it start CUPS back up again and exits.

What does this error message mean? How can I get rid of CUPS so that I
can do a clean re-install?

Thanks -- Randy