gcc-2.91.66 needed for kernel compilation?

I'm attempting to compile kernel 2.4.6 on 2.2r3. Yes, i know .7 is out, but
when i tried to unpack the archive I downloaded from ftp.kernel.org i got
errors using the same method I used to unpack the 2.4.6 kernel successfully
so i thought i'd just stick with it.
Anyway, i've gone through the installation proceedure several times and I
have two reoccuring errors:
1. make zImage says that the kernel is too big and to use make bzImage. I
thought this was odd because i have plenty of extra hdd space.
2. When I use make bzImage I don't get any errors, but when i move the file
and the System map and everything to the /boot directory (yes, i've been set
straight a/b the directories) and configure lilo it still doesn't work when i
try its identifier at the boot prompt. It just says "loading", the hard drive
LED comes on, and nothing happens.
I read the README file which suggests using gcc-2.91.66. It says gcc-2.95.xx
(which i'm currently using) will probably work, but is less safe.
So, what's going on? is it the compiler, or am I just really messing up the
config file (I don't think I am, I've checked all my system specs. and I said
yes to settings I need). Furthermore, if it is the compiler, does debian have
a packagefile for gcc-2.91.66? I've looked hard but found nothing. They don't
even have it on gnu.org for download, or not that i've found anyway.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Oh, and by the way: I finally got a 'normal' boot disk to work with 'make
bzdisk', but It was for my existing kernel.