Re: dist-upgrade from potato to woody

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 09:17:27PM +0100, Graham Ward wrote:

| I just tried to upgrade my system from potato to woody.  I believe
| these are the correct steps:
|
|   (1) replace "potato" with "woody" everywhere in /etc/apt/sources.list
|   (2) apt-get update
|   (3) apt-get dist-upgrade.

These are good.

| When I do step (3), I see (among other things) the message
|

|     WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
|     This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
|       sysvinit util-linux (due to sysvinit)
|     544 packages upgraded, 87 newly installed, 36 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
|     Need to get 348MB of archives. After unpacking 173MB will be used.
|     You are about to do something potentially harmful
|

| On the face of it, removing sysvinit looks like a bad idea, so I
| stopped at this point.  Has something gone horribly wrong with my
| set-up, or is this in fact harmless?

Yeah, you kinda want to have an init on the system :-) (without it you
won't be able to boot).  It is possible (but I'm not looking at
packages.debian.org right now) that sysvinit isn't in testing.  I
recommend putting potato in sources.lst after woody.  apt is smart
enough to get just the latest version of the packages.  This way you
will get the new stuff that is in testing, but you won't lose stuff
that is in potato but not woody.

HTH,
-D