Re: configuring cups

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 02:02:03PM -0600, Phil Reardon wrote:
> I understood cups had a script or gui for configuring cups, but I can't find
> one.  Was I wrong?  How can I configjure cups for my HP deskjet 840C?
> TIA, PCR

Hi Phil,

the command-line tool for configuring the printers with cups is
lpadmin, for example:

   lpadmin -p Deskjet -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m deskjet.ppd

   -p: name of the printer, e.g. Deskjet
   -E: enable the printing queue for the printer
   -v: printer device, e.g. parallel:/dev/lp0 for first parallel port
   -m: use the default directory /usr/share/cups/model for the PPD
       description files
   deskjet.ppd: default ppd for HP deskjet printer

It's also possible to configure the printer with a web-interface. Just
start your favorite browser and go to http://localhost:631/admin/.
Then use the button Add Printer to configure a new printer.

Bye
Andreas