Re: lprng for a home computer

Philipp Lehman <lehman@gmx.net> writes:

> I can't help you with your lprng question, but a firewall actually
> makes sense even on a stand-alone workstation or laptop. You can
> filter in the input chain just like you'd do on a dedicated firewall
> host.

I'm not an expert on firewalls, but if someone wanted to bring your
computer to a grinding halt, i.e. DoS, they could just send a whole
crap of packets, and firewall or no, the processor will have to spend
all it's cycles dealing with these packets.  If course, I guess it
would happen if you didn't have a firewall too, wouldn't it?

So I guess I'm asking what sort of advantages will I gain if I do run
a firewall on a personal machine.

thanks.

Marshal