Oracle on Debian?

I'm building a new Debian machine to use as an Amanada backup machine for a
failry large number of machines. I also need to be able to run certain
Oracle _client_ side apps (export for instance, and conneting to DB
instnaces using Perl DBI).

A few months ago I had built a machine for this using the STABLE
distribution, and a version of Oracle (8i) From the CD that acompanies the
book "Oracle 8i for Linix Starter Kit".

I would really like to use something a bit more current for the Linux side
of things (Testing? Progeney? Xanim?) but it's muy understanding that this
version of Oracle won't work with the new libraries provided by some
distributions.

Can anyone educate me on this? Is it posible to download a newer version of
Oracle? If so from where, and what versions of Debian, or Debian derived
distributions will it work with?

Thanks for the help.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154