ALSA compile problems

After upgrading to kernel 2.4.7 (in the hope that it will finally fix
the memory insanity), I went to recompile all my kernel modules (using
make-kpkg).  The NVIDIA modules compiled fine, so did the i2c and
sensor modules, but when it got to compiling the ALSA drivers, I got
the following error:
dh_gencontrol -- -vcat debian/MODVERS
dpkg-gencontrol: warning:
unknown substitution variable ${kvers}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${kversdeb}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${kvers}
dh_md5sums
dh_builddeb --destdir=/usr/src/linux-2.4.7/..
dpkg-deb: parse error, in file debian/tmp/DEBIAN/control' near line 7
package alsa-modules-0.5-2.4.7':
 Recommends' field, reference to kernel-image-': error in version:
version string is empty
dh_builddeb: command returned error code
make[2]: *** [binary-modules] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver-0.5-0.5.10b-8'
make[1]: *** [kdist_image] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver-0.5-0.5.10b-8'
Module /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver-0.5-0.5.10b-8 failed.
Hit return to Continue
Looking at the Recommends' field shows that indeed the version string
is empty.  Thinking that it might just be stale files lying around or
something, I tried both make-kpkg modules_clean and deleting and
recreating the the alsa-source directory from the tarball.  The
command line I used was 'ALSA_NOPNP=n ALSA_DEBUG=n ALSA_CARDS=emu10k1
make-kpkg modules_image' in the directory /usr/src/linux-2.4.7/.

Does anybody have any idea about what to do?  If it's a bug in
make-kpkg, is it known or fixed anywhere?