Re: Exim & fetchmail & procmail ...

* Mark Wagnon (mwagnon1@home.com) wrote:
> On 07/20/01 20:51:35 -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
> > I looked at what I sent, and half the message is missing.  Sorry about that -- I'm still trying to get used to using emacs with mutt.

<snip>

> Are you having problems filtering your mail? For me procmail was a
> pain. I discovered (through this most excellent list) that exim has
> filtering capability via a .forward file in your home directory. You
> might want to take a look at the filter.txt.gz file in the exim docs
> directory. Using that as a guideline, I was able to configure exim,
> fectmail, and mutt to do what I need for email.
>
> If you're having problems with retrieving mail, then maybe you could
> run fectmail with the -v option and then inpspect the output.
>
> I can't reælly tell what you're requesting help with. Did you make
> an earlier post with more details?

I attempted to make an earlier post,and screwed up the address, so it bounced back.

Here's the setup:

Cable modem connection, but I don't have my own domain.  Fetchmail seems to be running fine, but exim shuts down, so the mail goes to /var/spool/mail/root.  Since exim is shut down, procmail doesn't get called (but can't do anything, since the mail is in the wrong file).  I can get my mail by changing permissions on /var/spool/mail/root and running a script, which does OK, but I still need to tune .procmailrc up, since it's all getting dumped into Inbox, but that's another problem.

I have exim and fetchmail set up as daemons.  Fetchmail continues to do its thing, but after trying to bind to port 25, exim fails and shuts down.  It claims the address is in use by another process, thus:

2001-07-21 10:20:21 socket bind() to port 25 for address (any) failed: Address already in use: daemon abandoned

I re-started exim, and got the following in the exim mainlog:

2001-07-21 11:42:49 15O1iD-0000gI-00 <= camellison@dccnet.com U=cam P=local S=1353 id=20010721114248.A940@ummagumma
2001-07-21 11:42:49 15O1iD-0000gI-00 => debian-user@lists.debian.org R=smarthost T=remote_smtp H=mailhost.dccnet.com [207.230.239.78]
2001-07-21 11:42:49 15O1iD-0000gI-00 Completed

In theory, it ought to be running, but it seems to have failed silently (ps -A does not show it, and there are no further log entries).

It seems exim is the culprit, though it may be more accurate to say it's the victim.  I have tested its ability to do transport, and it works fine on that score, so I must assume that it is configured correctly.

Does anyone have more ideas?

TIA

Cam

--