Re: [OT] NFS question

>>>>> "Hall" == Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com> writes:

Hall> How are the permissions of an NFS mount determined ?? I've got
Hall> two directories I'm mounting via NFS and they're "acting" the
Hall> same.

Hall> When they're not mounted, they're both owned by hall.users. When
Hall> they're mounted, they're owned by amy.hall.

Are you talking about the mount points?

I think what you see is this:

Linux requires a directory to exist before anything can be mounted
there. When the mount command is executed, the mount point is
`replaced' by the remote directory, including the permissions of the
latter.

The permissions of the local mount point only matter when the
directory is not mounted. Normally, you would set permissions that
will prevent a user from accidently writing to it.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>