Re: Hardware Question

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 01:17:14PM -0400, Adam Bell wrote:
>     What kind of hardware, and in what configuration, would be best to throw
> at this problem?  What I'm assuming is that I'll need an interface for the
> modem, an interface going into a hub, and interfaces for all the clients.
> Is there a better way to do this?

I run a server which provides 24/7 Net connectivity off a
permanent modem connection. It serves as mail and web server and there
are five machines on my LAN. The machine is a P60,
32 meg RAM, one gig drive. Runs potato. I use my ISP's DNS.

>     Also, what salient packages will be needed?  Here's my list so far:
> dhcpd, imapd (courier or uw?), proftpd, fingerd, exim, bind.  I know there
> must be things missing!  :)

Pick the basic server package when installing and add whatever
you want later.

>     Finally, is there a nice, easy (secure!) web interface for an IMAP store
> that can be dropped in easily?

Webmin.

Sam
--