Re: Newly compiled kernel will not boot

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:29:13 Radar wrote:
> I'm trying to boot a newly compiled 2.4.6 kernel in "potato" using the
> updated
> packages at people.debian.org/~bunk. After following steps outlined in a
> few
> kernel compile tutorials, I arrive at the same results, LILO says:
> uncompressing the image. Ok...booting the kernel - and nothing. It just
> hangs there. Prior to this, I had a newly installed woody system,
> thinking I would not need the
> "Bunk" files. I used the kernel-package steps with the above results.
> Then I
> wiped out the linux directory and started new without using the
> kernel-package
> steps. I can't think of why this is, when I compiled with no errors. I'll
> list
> what steps I have taken thus far with the present setup.
>
> Installed Debian 2.2 r3 from CDs and pointed sources.list to the "Bunk"
> files
> at people.debian.org.
>
> Did an apt-get update and apt-get -u dist-upgrade
>
> Installed libncurses5-dev, got the 2.4.6.tar.gz and untarred it in
> /usr/src/
>
> cd into usr/src/linux and issued: make mrproper, make menuconfig.
>
> For my p166, I chose pentium pro / Pentium II. For my hard drive I chose
> enhanced IDE/ATA/MFM?/RLL (not sure about this). For filesystems, I used
> defaultsfor cdrom, ext2. I chose all netfiltering/iptables options, and
> chose my nic to
> be loaded as a module. PPP, floppy support etc.  I'm really not sure
> what's
> amiss in here.
>
> I saved the config, Issued make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make
> modules,
> make modules_install.
>
> I copied the System.map into /boot/ along with the bzImage from
> /usr/src/linux
> /arch/i386/boot/. I also copied vmlinux into /boot/ (not sure about that)
>
> I updated lilo.conf:
>
> Image=/boot/bzImage
> 	root=/dev/hda2
> 	label=Linux
> 	read-only
> #	restricted
> 	alias=1
>
> Image=/vmlinuz
> 	label=LinuxOLD
> 	read-only
> #	restricted
> 	alias=2
>
> Everything else in lilo.conf was left as it was (except for the boot
> message)
>
> I can still boot the old kernel, the new one will always stop at ....ok
> booting
> kernel - with no error messages.
>

> Maybe someone can help? My only other thought is to try this on a newer
> machine.
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne

I'm not sure - but I think you may have misidentified the processor in the
kernel.  Try calling it a P1, and if that doesn't work, try the generic
386/486 config.  The first message you get at boot is CPU signals, and I
got the same response when I misidentified a CPU (K6-2 vs. PII).
Good luck
Steve