Re: dselect trying to remove lots of stuff

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 04:14:07PM -0400, Anthony Fox wrote:
> Seems I wasn't careful enough when using dselect.  I have been trying
> to remove the gnome libs and binaries that I don't use on my system.
> Somehow, I must have selected the wrong package for purging.  Dselect
> now wants to remove from my system, among other packages, XFree86 and
> KDE.  I don't want these packages to be removed.  Is there some way
> that I can make dselect forgot about previous selections?  That is, is
> there some way for dselect to just start over?

If you have changed the package selections, and confirmed these changes
in dselect, they are set and you can't get the previous selection state
back.  What you can do, is to go back to dselect and in the package
list, remark for installation all packages that have erroneously been
marked for removal.  Dselect displays both the current status and the
desired status, so you can easily spot the packages that are still
installed, but marked for removal.

Cheers,

Joost