Re: system logs

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk> wrote:

>I've decided to have a look at /var/log which over the months
>has become quite large. The man page for syslog.conf and
>/etc/syslog.conf I basically understand, but I can't find any
>config file which relates to the savelog program, yet files.0
>and .x.gz have been created in /var/log.
>
>I have little use for a great deal of logging - just the last
>five or six days will be enough and that for fewer facilities
>and priorities than are covered at present. Hopefully, I'll
>be able to make something of logrotate.
>
>Can someone please explain how/where savelog operates from?

For logrotate, you can set this in /etc/logrotate.conf. Unfortunately,
a lot of packages still use generic maintenance scripts in
/etc/cron.daily|weekly|monthly and pass command line options to
savelog. To change this, you'd need to modify these scripts.

For syslog, this would mean editing /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd and
changing a line that looks like

	savelog <misc switches> -c 7 $LOG >/dev/null

	savelog <misc switches> -c 3 $LOG >/dev/null

HTH

--
Philipp Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>