Re: delegating NS control of subdomain to another BIND

also sprach Jeremy T. Bouse (on Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:15:34AM -0700):
> 	In this example you would need to have both NS and A records
> in mydomain.org which relate to subdomain.mydomain.org for instance
> (*Disclaimer: I'm writing this off the cuff of my sleeve not from a
> current zone config setup*)

thanks, i scanned numerous pages in the mean time and found that one
myself. nevertheless, it's still not working.

thus, my current setup is (i have temporarily disabled ns2 until i get
ns1 working).

> in mydomain.org zone file:
> $ORIGIN mydomain.org.
> 	NS	ns1.mydomain.org.
>; 	NS	ns2.mydomain.org.
  ns1.subdomain A 192.168.14.13
;  ns2.subdomain A 192.168.14.14

> $ORIGIN subdomain.mydomain.org.
> 	NS	ns1.subdomain.mydomain.org.
>; 	NS	ns2.subdomain.mydomain.org.
> ns1	A	192.168.14.13
>; ns2	A	192.168.14.14

but it doesn't work:

  fishbowl:~> host ns1.subdomain.mydomain.org
  ns1.subdomain.mydomain.org     A       192.168.14.13

  fishbowl:~> host subdomain.mydomain.org
  subdomain.mydomain.org does not exist, try again

  fishbowl:~> host mail.subdomain.mydomain.org
  mail.subdomain.mydomain.org does not exist (Authoritative
    answer)

and using debugging, the nameserver at 192.168.14.13 doesn't get a
single query, even though it is delegated as authoritative for the
subdomain.

any more ideas???

"and no one sings me lullabies,
 and no one makes me close my eyes,