Re: non-US security fixes URL

In article <[🔎] 4.3.2.7.2.20010719122146.037a8670@10.10.40.54>, Eric N. Valor wrote:
> I know this doesn't really belong on the security list, but that's where
> this thread started.  I thought I'd toss in my $.02 and bring attention to
> a broken deb-src address in out-of-box /etc/apt/sources.list file:
>
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
>
> should actually be:
>
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US/main
>
> At 06:43 PM 7/19/2001 +0200, Philipp Hofmann wrote:
> >according to
> >http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.html#s-update
> >its
> >deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
> >non-free

I have read the sources.list manual page, and I sort of understand how these
lines work. However, I have not yet found a document detailing all the possible
values you can use for distribution and component, so I have to set up my
sources.list by trial and error. Is there such a document?

My sources.list lines currently say ...

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US/ stable/non-US main contrib non-free

Are these correct?

With these lines, an apt-get update returns one error message...

Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages
  Error reading from server Remote end closed connection

I assume the
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
line must be wrong - how, and why?

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com              http://www.trumphurst.com/