Re: Where is the kernel source?

Jor-el <jorel@marvin.megadodo.umb> writes:

> The kernel image that my system uses appears to be from the package
> kernel-image-2.2.18pre21-ide.  One would expect that the source code
> to this .deb would be found in the corresponding source package -
> i.e in kernel-source-2.2.18pre21-ide.  But it isn't there.
> www.kernel.org no longer has the pre patches stored there, so I dont
> know where to go get 2.2.18pre21 source code. Any ideas?

The "-ide" denotes the "flavour" of the image package, i.e. what
features are built into the kernel contained in the package.  The -ide
image was built from the plain 2.2.18pre21 sources with a patch
applied for UDMA66 support.  To build you own kernel which includes
this patch, you need the plain sources and the package containing the
patch:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.18pre21 kernel-patch-2.2.18pre21-ide

You may however want to get version 2.2.19 of these packages, as there
are some security issues which affect 2.2.18pre21 (see
<URL:http://www.debian.org/security/2001/dsa-047>).

For details of how to build a patched kernel-image package, see the
documentation of `kernel-package'.

--

Leonard Stiles <ljs@uk2.net>