Re: CRON - Can you make CRON run faster than every minute

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:20:48PM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Don't think you can speed it up, but you can have a script run once a
> min, sleep 15, run, sleep 15, run, etc.
>
> If you ahve to:
>
> cron1   * * * * * command
> cron2   * * * * * sleep 15; command
> cron3   * * * * * sleep 30; command
> cron4   * * * * * sleep 45; command
>
> which is real ugly, but will work

Yep it is ugly, and you use more resources that way too.

Ian, what exactly are you trying to do?

Whenever I've had a need for something like this, I wrote a little
script that runs in daemon (server or constantly running) mode.

Do you need to process files in a certain directory, but only when
there are files?  Why do you need to run so often?

Mike