ipmasq ipchanis; newbie question

I am using Debian 2.2 (potato) with ipchains 1.3.9
attempting to get ip masquerading to work.

I can ping other computers on my network when ipmasq is
disabled. But when it's on I get a operation not permitted
message when I try to ping another machine. So as someone
hinted before, this is probably something wrong with
my firewall rules.

First of all do I need to recompile kernel to get masq
to work w/my version of Debian ?

I followed config file for 2.2.x kernels in the masq
HOWTO, but I must not be doing something right.

in any case this is what ipchains -L gives me :
target prot opt 	 source 	destination ports
ACCEPT udp  ------ anywhere 	anywhere    bootps -> bootpc
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target prot opt    source         destination ports
MASQ   all  ------ 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere    n/a
Chain output (policy DENY):

I am connecting to my provider with dhcpcd, and that
works as well when ipmasq is not engaged.

I noticed that some docs use 192.168.0.* for class C
networked machines while the masq pages use
192.168.1.* for machines on the network, does this
matter at all ?

Please CC me any responses. Thanks.