Gnome under Debian

I was using Gnome from the time I started with Debian,
some 11 months back. I since went on to Helix Gnome and
then Ximian - which I now wish I hadn't.

When I start up my Ximian desktop, I get multiple copies
of both midnight commander and Netscape opening up.
I have looked in every possible location and cannot source
the root of the problem.

I have downloaded all the recent Ximian patches as well
but none of them seems to fix what is a very irritating
problem.

In the meantime, I have switched to icewm to retain my sanity.

Any hints from the assembled on this problem?

Sam
--
(Sam Varghese)
http://www.gnubies.com