Cannot play Audio Cds but Data Cds are fine (used to work)

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this problem:
I have an IDE cdwriter (Ricoh mp7080a) and have succesfully recompiled the kernel with scsi emulation etc and can now burn cds. (great) BTW I am running Potato 2.2.19pre21.  Before doing the above audio cds worked fine, now when I put one in to play, start up say GCD nothing happens at all.
I seem to remember deleting /dev/cdrom  and have tried recreating it as a symlink to scd0 but I have a feeling this is incorrect. The line looks like this:
lrwxrwxrwx	1 root	root	4 may 21 20:25 scd0 -> scd0
I have added a line to my /etc/lilo.conf like this:
append="hdc=ide-scsi"
which is below the Linux Stanza.
I altered the /etc/fstab file like this:
hashed out existing /dev/cdrom line then added a line:
/dev/scd0   /cdrom   auto   defaults,ro,noauto,user,exec   0   0
TIA

--
Best Regards

Wayne.