problem with menuconfig and ide controllers...

My ide controller is a CMD Technology 646U2 DMA controller, but menuconfig
will only allow me to select 'CMD640' and 'CMD640 Enhanced'.  I have read
that the CMD646 driver will support "DMA mode" while the CMD640 driver will
only support "PIO" mode.  So, I would prefer to use the CMD646 driver even
though that does not appear in the block-driver list from within menuconfig.
However, both the cdm640.c and the cmd646.c source files came with the the
current version of my kernel-source (2.2.12).

Should the CMD646 driver be appearing in my menuconfig block drivers?  Is
there a way to get the CMD646 driver to appear in menuconfig?  If not, is it
possible to manually compile the cmd646.c source and apply the resulting
driver to my system?  Is there an easier way to achieve the use of this
driver, even at the expense of a total reinstall?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- gladimir