Re: Corel Linux

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:29:58PM +1000, Bruce wrote:
> I hope you can direct me. I have just bought corel linux and install
> it in its own partition. My problem is that i cant get my modem to
> initialise. It works quite well with windows me on the same machine,
> but when i query the modem on linux it returns nothing. The modem is
> a lucent v.90. can you assist?

Bad news: You've got a winmodem which won't work under Linux except with
some extra work on your part.

Good news: It's a Lucent winmodem which is currently one of the best
supported winmodems under Linux.

Some pages you'll need to read are:
<http://www.linmodems.org>
<http://linmodems.technion.ac.il>
<http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/Linmodem-howto.html>

The driver you need can be downloaded from:
<http://www.heby.de/ltmodem>

It can be downloaded under Windows, but don't try to open the tar file
under Windows or some of the scripts will be corrupted by DOS end of line
characters. Copy it to your Linux partition and open it while running
Linux using the command tar -zxvf ltmodem-6.00a.tar.gz.

Read the 1ST-READ file, then read everything in the DOCs directory.

You can also find help on the discuss@linmodems.org mail list, but please
read the documentation and try for yourself first, people who obviously
haven't done this tend to get ignored.