deblist - a small program that may or may not be useful

Hello fellow debian users,

I wrote a little C-Program that may or may not be ;-) useful for people
like me, that use a system that is a mix of woody and sid packages.

It downloads a list of all available packages from the official
woody and sid archives at http://http.us.debian.org, then it
compares that list with the list of installed packages.
It then outputs some information, how many and which packages from
woody you have installed, how many of them are out of date, then
it does the same for your installed sid packages, and it also
displays which packages you have installed that are currently the
same version in both archives.

It is split into two programs. One is a simple shell script that
uses wget, gunzip, grep and sed to generate the package lists.
the other one is a C program that does the comparing and reporting
business.

I have no idea if it will work for you, because I have not considered
any portability issues and such, and the makefile is extremely simple.

Download it, extract the tar.gz archive, then run make in the directory.
It should compile just fine. Then run the shell script
'update-package-files.sh" in the same directory. Then start the program
./deblist

I have tested this on an AMD Duron System with Debian woody installed.

This is the download URL:
http://www.cynox.ch/downloads/misc/deblist-0.11.tar.gz

Have fun
Alex