HELP: qmail-smtp isn't started by default????

hello!

i never really used the incoming mail feature of  my qmail setup of my
home server... since i normally get my mail through our corporate mail
service, but now i needed it, and it didn't worked....

i have a sid-machine running qmail... looked through the setups couldn't
find anything...

tryed a telnet 25, connection refused...
looked through hosts.allow, added some lines for qmail, until i noticed
that it is started as daemon...

looked through the started daemons noticed that qmail-smtp was
missing...
looked at the start script, didn't understood a lot...

got through the qmail install docu and adapted the line there to start
the server:
tcpserver -u 71 -g 65534 0 smtp /usr/sbin/qmail-smtpd &

this is similar to what i found in the init script:
sh -c "start-stop-daemon --start --quiet \
       --exec /usr/bin/tcpserver -- \
       -S -u 71 -g 65534 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb 0 smtp \
       /usr/sbin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | logger
       -t qmail -p mail.notice &"

but only similar.... can't imagine what the extra struff as
/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb is supposed to do and why that command is so
complicated.... anyways the above mentioned line works, while the init
line manifestingly doesn't work....

should i post this as a bug, or is something with my set up wrong?

--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net