Re: Sound Support

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Case, Benjamin wrote:

> I apt-got the kernel-source-2.4.6. I have compiled a kernel and it works
> great. I just d/l the source for pcmcia-cs and comiled that and I use that
> module now too. I just realized I forgot the modules for my Soundblaster.
> How can I add the necessary modules for this card without having to
> re-compile?

Hello,

you have to recompile anyway. But it might not be necesary to reboot. If
you have enabled sound support in the kernel, but forgot to enable the
needed module, simply run 'make menuconfig', enable the drivers, 'make
dep' and 'make modules'. Because the changes to the kernel are relatively
small, the new modules have the same version as the old modules. You can
verify this by 'insmod /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/emu10k1.o' for
example. If the kernel does not complain about wrong module versions you
can do 'make modules_install' and your new sound modules will be available
after a 'depmod -a', without rebooting or installing a new kernel.

However, if you configured your kernel with sound support disabled, you
really need to recompile the entire kernel.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan