Re: apache 1.3.9/stable

Jens Gecius <jens@gecius.de> writes:

> does anybody have a clue regarding user-authorization in
> apache-stable?

I would do everything for a look into your Bilderalbum. ;-)

> I'm trying pretty hard to get it to work on my box, but it just
> doesn't work. Not with access.conf entries nor with .htaccess files.

Did you set AllowOverride to allow this from .htaccess files? For
access.conf, my first guess would be another conflicting <Directory>
or <Location> section for the said directory floating around in your
apache configuration.

> AuthName "Bilderalbum"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /etc/apache/htpasswd
> require valid-user
>
> Of course, the entries in htpasswd are generated using htpasswd.

You should nevertheless check the contents of /etc/apache/htpasswd,
there has to be a line starting with "xxx:" (I would really like to
know which kind of pix you have for a user called "xxx").

To check if the above statement is effective you can temporarily
replace it by this one:

    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from localhost

Then give it a try with `lynx --dump http://localhost/...` and check
your logs again.

[x] ulf

--
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings,
they did it by killing all those who opposed them.