apt-get source (0.5.3) and finding versions of source packages

Dear People,

I just installed apt 0.5.3 (compiled on potato). I was hoping it would
help me in fetching sources. My current sources.list points

for binaries (deb) to stable
for sources (deb-src) to stable and testing

I see that there exists the new option

apt-get source slrn=0.9.6.2-9potato1    (version in stable)

or

apt-get source slrn=0.9.7.1-5          (version in testing)

and it will fetch them correctly, provided the appropriate lines exist in
sources.list, as they do in mine.

Howver, I would much rather do

apt-get source slrn/stable

and

apt-get source slrn/testing

as is apparently possible for binaries (but seemingly not for sources) as
I don't in general know the version numbers, unless I go on the web and
look them up. This is not so much an issue at the moment, since I can do

dpkg -l slrn

and find the stable version that way, and the default version is testing,
so just

apt-get source slrn

works for the testing version. But this is clumsy. Also, I was thinking of
adding a deb-src line for unstable, and then how would I get the version
for testing short of looking on the web?

I have read the available documentation forward and sideways, and don't
see anything obvious I am missing.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Incidentally, the -t option doesn't seem to work with apt-get source
either.

                                      Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.