Kernel 2.4.x: umount failing during shutdown (devfs?)

Hi there,

I've been using Kernel 2.4.x for quite a while now (2.4.4 at the moment) and it
really works great, except for one last problem: At shutdown time, the machine
complains that devfs can't be unmounted, because it is used (remounting ro
instead)

Usually, that is not a problem, just an annoying message, but once in a while,
the machine does seem to have problem unmounting any partitions as well,
resulting in a "not unmounted correctly"-fsck at the next boot - even though I
just did a regular shutdown before (not even encountering any special errors in
addition to the above)

The error message about devfs is shown right the last moment before the machine
is switched off, so to read it, I really have to hit SysRq-L (killalL) in just the
right moment.

On my machine, I have running a standard woody system, I have no idea which
details might be of interest in this case.

Does anybody have an idea about it?

Ciao,
Nobbi

PS: Please CC me - my internet link is too slow to subscribe comfortably...

--
-- JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!