Re: .bashrc

On Friday, July 13, 2001 1:54 PM, joost@topaz.mdcc.cx wrote:
> If you use xdm, the trick is [...]
> Since programs in your x session are usually descendants of ~/.xsession,
> they will automatically be run with the right environment settings.

Right, just make sure your bash-specific com-
mands (like alias defs) are in .bashrc so they
will be run at term start.

> Since I am not a gdm/kdm user, I cannot tell how it works there, but the
> idea shoudl be the same, I guess.

The problem with ~/.xsession for kdm is that
you lose the session selection capability of
the login app.  I ended up creating a new
mechanism that sources a local user init file
before running the main Xsession.

There might be a better way that doesn't
require modifying /etc/X11/kdm/Xsession
and I'd be happy to hear it.

  -=greg