Re: Real Player for potato

> > # dpkg -i realplayer_8.0.5_i386.deb
> > Selecting previously deselected package realplayer.
> > (Reading database ... 23682 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Unpacking realplayer (from .../realplayer_8.0.5_i386.deb) ...
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of realplayer:
> >  realplayer depends on debconf (>= 0.9.53); however:
> >   Version of debconf on system is 0.2.80.17.
> > dpkg: error processing realplayer (--install):
> >  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  realplayer
> >
> > So, it seems that the woody realplayer.deb installer depends on the
> > woody debconf version.  Hmmm.  Is this what you meant?
>
> This is what I hoped would not be the case.  The new debconf in turn
> depends on perl 5.6.1, you don't want to "dpkg -i" with all that.

You can always try to force the install. If it does not work you can
remove it and deceide if you still want that thing so badly.

dpkg --force-depends -i realplayer...deb

Alternatively you can take a look first at the files which are going to be
installed:
dpkg -x realplayer...deb /tmp

and install the files one by one after examining them.

If you really want to get rid of it:
dpkg --purge realplayer

My experience with woody is that these packages run well on a potato
system without upgrading it.

Good luck,
Sebastiaan