Re: is the apt version in tsting (0.5.3) reliable?

Am 16. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Faheem Mitha so:

> I am currently running Debian 2.2rs (potato, stable). I'm opting for
> building packages from (Debian) sources for things I need that are not
> in potato. The version of apt in testing has some functions that would
> make this much easier (apt-get build-dep) and it generally has more
> functionality than the version of apt (0.3.19) in potato. I am sure
> there are many people out there who are using this version of apt, so my
> question is, have you had any problems with it? More specifically, are
> there any people currently using it on potato, and how has the experience
> been?

I've been using apt 0.5.3 for many moons on many boxen. It's necessary for
the environment at work ( boxen running potato/woody/sid mixes ).

I've been happy with it. Haven't been able to completely pin down the
capabilities of /etc/apt/preferences, but the basics of that work quite
well. For info on that see my previous posts with descriptions of how it
works.

apt-get is why I moved to debian. apt-get 0.5.3, specifically
/etc/apt/preferences, is a huge step in the direction I think a package
management tool should go and goes to show every other OS/dist what a
package management tool should do.

cioa,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.