Re: mformat, boot disks

	Subject: mformat, boot disks
	Date: Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 08:38:52PM -0400

Quoting R1nso13@aol.com(R1nso13@aol.com):
> I'm running 2.2r3 i-386.
>
> 1. When I run 'superformat /dev/fd0' the disk is formatted. However, when
> superformat tries to run mformat to created an msdos file system, I get the
> error message
> 'sh: error:command not found'
> or something similar. When i simply type 'mformat' i get a similar error
> message. Should I worry about this? Even if it is not a problem, why am i
> getting this message?

VT1 root-2.2r3-prince:~# dpkg -S mformat
mtools: /usr/bin/mformat
mtools: /usr/share/man/man1/mformat.1.gz

Load the mtools package.

> 2. I have successfully made a lilo boot disk using "mkboot
> /boot/vmlinuz2.2.17pre19". But i have also tried copying the binary to the
> disk using 'cp' and 'dd'. However, these disks are recognized as system boot
> disks, but the do not successfully boot linux. When booting for these disks
> the monitor simply displays "loading........" but does not successfully load.
> Am I copying the wrong file, or will this method simply not work with Debian?
> Regardless, how can I create a 'normal' boot disk? (one that doesn't use lilo)

dd if=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

Is how I make boot disks.  Floppies are funny tho, so I usually make 2.
Seems I find a lot of bad floppies.  YMMV

Wayne
--
A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper
tray and the blinking red light.