Re: installation impasse

This belongs to Debian user, debian-boot is for developers of the the
Debian installation system.

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 04:24:46PM -0700, Andrew T. Young wrote:
> I'm trying to migrate from a Slackware system with kernel version 1.2.9 to the
> current Debian stable release.  I downloaded the boot, root, and 11 base floppies
> for the "compact" version, and all went OK until I got to the part (after
> re-booting from the boot floppy) about installing and configuring the rest of the
> system, which requires access to the Net.

You do not say which version of Debian you are installing. I assume it
is Debian 2.2 r3, code named potato, since that is the currently
stable version. Easiest way to install Debian is from a CD, if you can
use that.

> My connection is a PPP link, and it runs through a funny modem that uses port 2f0
> and IRQ 2.  On the 1.2.9 system, this is simply configured by setserial in
> rc.serial.  But this does not work on the Debian system, which reports "No such
> device" although I made the /dev/ttyS14 entry with mknod.

And this modem worked under Slackware? And it is not a "winmodem"?
Winmodems are not supported in the kernel because their manufacturers
provide drivers only for Windows operating systems.

> It appears that the serial-port code now lives in a module; but where do I find
> it?

In the kernel, did you include the serial module when you installed
the system? Anyway, it should be in
/lib/modules/<kernelversion>/misc/generic_serial.o . If you forgot to
include that when you installed, you can use command

  modprobe generic_serial

as root to load it or edit /etc/modules to make it load automatically
at boot time. If you think you a missing a file, use command

  locate filename

to see if it is somewhere in your machine.

> It also appears that many other people have had similar problems (mostly while
> trying to install Winmodems) -- a search for "debian" and "ttyS14" turns up
> hundreds of pages of similar complaints, but no solution.  This is not explained
> in either the Serial-HOWTO or the Modem-HOWTO.

Winmodems are not supported because there are no linux drivers for
those. I know there are efforts to write those drivers but you need to
hunt for them ourself.

> It would be helpful if the installation program provided the means of setting up
> this special port for those of us who need it.
>
> It would also be helpful if the instructions on how to do this were included in
> one of the HOWTO documents.

Are you sure it is not in Serial Howto?