Re: Building an SRPM on Debian?

Paul D. Smith wrote:
> I'd installed the Debian RPM and I used rpm -i to install the SRPM,
> which put the source in the SOURCES directory and the spec file in the
> SPECS directory just fine.
>
> But, when I try to run the "rpm -bp" I get this error:
>
>   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
>   error: cannot open rpm database in /var/lib/rpm

Quelle strange. rpm wants a rpm database just to apply patches to a
build tree? It must be on drugs. Maybe it wants to do source dependancy
checking though. Does --nodeps help? Could you send me the srpm in
question? I'll see if I can fix this.

> I don't want to do anything else with RPM, I just want to get this
> source set up correctly.  It's annoying that I appear to need a Packages
> DB just for that, but I apparently do.
>
> Does anyone know how to construct a legal Packages file (I guess it can
> be empty--not contain any packages) on my Debian (woody/testing) box?

I don't include a valid rpm db in the rpm package to prevent inaverdent
installation of rpm's. But you can create one with rpm --initdb.

--
see shy jo