NFS related error; do I need NFS?

The following error is being reported in /var/log/messages:

rpc.statd forgot to set AF_INET in udp sendmsg. Fix it!

The rpc.statd daemon appears to be loaded in the nfs-common rc scripts.  I
do plan to enable samba on my linux machine, eventually; but I don't think I
have any reason to be running any NFS daemons.  As far as I can see, I will
never be sharing files between *nix machines or doing any remote mounts or
anything else that I commonly associate with NFS.

So, I have two questions:

1) Do I need NFS on this linux machine?

2a) If so, how do I make this error go away?
2b) If not, what is the process for removing the nfs-common scripts from the
system initialization?

Thanks for you help.

- g