RE: D-Link DFE-530TX+

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Rick Commo wrote:
> >>The module is the via-rhine and it's been included in
> >>kernel since 2.2 IIRC.
>
> Watch out here.  I believe that the via-rhine driver works with an earlier
> of version of this card.  The correct driver for the DF350-TX+ is rtl8139.o.
> The card uses the Realtek chip and in fact on my Win2K machine reported
> itself as the Realtek card.  The rtl8139 driver was in the r2.2 release CDs
> that I bought some time ago.  I have a few of them going here with no
> problem.

Correct, the DFE530TX uses the via-rhine driver, but the DFE530TX+ uses the
rtl8139 driver.  That plus makes all the difference, and the naming being so
close, but the cards/chipsets being so different causes a lot of confusion!  If
you are having problems with the module supplied with Debian, check out the
scyld.com site.  I think the drivers included are the scyld ones, but the site
may have newer versions.  I have found that in many cases the 'no-name' cards
are easier to work with as the big name manufacturers make changes to the specs
for various reasons and break compatibility (notable the Linksys Etherfast
(tulip) and Netgear FA311 (nat-semi), which I have known to have issues.

---
Paul Tansom:    Talking to penguins can be inTUXicating, whereas
talking to windows is only 1 step away from talking to the wall!
---
Smoothwall firewall/router project: http://www.smoothwall.org/
Smoothwall project community contact: community@smoothwall.org