Re: sendmail gethostbyaddr fails

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 02:30:22PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> What does it look like when you "strace host 192.168.1.1"?  It should
> be showing access to /etc/hosts, if you have "order hosts,bind" in
> /etc/resolv.conf.

I think you mean /etc/host.conf?

As I said "host 192.168.1.1" works, and stracing it indeed shows access
to /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/host.conf and /etc/hosts in that order.

But "host localhost." goes off to the internet to query my ISP's DNS
server instead of relying on my /etc/hosts. Stracing it shows access
to /etc/resolve.conf, but then instead of reading /etc/host.conf and
/etc/hosts it goes off to "connect" to my ISP's DNS server.

This I find strange, it would mean one needs to run a local dns server
on every privat network for some very basic network functions to work
properly.

--
groetjes, carel