Sound Card Woes

Some history on the card. The card is a SB Live value
edition that originally came in a Gateway 2000 computer that I
bought 2 years ago. I have since turned this box into my
server/router running Debian. But before I did that I had
installed a number of
distros on it (RedHat, Suse, Mandrake...) and could never get
this card to work in any of them. It always worked great in
windows.

When I built my current workstation, (asus K7V mb athlon800
voodoo3 384mb RAM) I moved the card to it. Again, it works great
in windows but I still can't get it to work in Debian or any
other distro for that matter. The module loads without errors,
sndconfig detects the correct card, basically everything that is
supposed to happen happens except there is no sound.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of those "crippled cards"
that some manufacturers supply to computer venders at a discount
price. Could they have turned this into a "win only" card?

Any ideas welcome
-

Jay Latham