Re: harsher kill than kill -9 ?

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Andrei Ivanov wrote:

> Well, if its a zombie process, it'll go away by itself after a while.
> Can you send an output of ps aux for that process (or top), please?
> Andrei

not zombie...

19355 rothaar    9   0 90588  88M   476 D     0.0 17.6   0:01 plot.out

from top.

I actually had dpkg do the same thing the other day when I tried to
install a third part .deb. Eventually got it to work fine, but it got hung
up at dpkg --config.  I thought it was just a fuke of what I was doing at
the time or something, but maybe not...

I run dozens of apps very similar to this every day for my work, the only
thing special about this one was that I was trying to run it with a
certain array as large as possible.  It kept segfaulting because I didn't
have neough memory I guess, until this one, which just sortof sits there,
munching up memory but no CPU (luckily! :) )

The array was 1,000,000 x 2 x 2 x 1 and it was trying to make 100 copies,
so I don't blame the machine for complaining a bit, but I'd really like to
kill the stupid thing...

Thanks,

-Dan