Re: [users] Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

> > > They can either let you run linux, or pay for your
> > > MCSE courses.
> >

> > That's reasonable ... as long as they've paid for
> > everyone else's MCSE course who uses Windows
> > on the campus.
>
> speaking from experience (oops), the mcse doesn't
> buy you jack. okay, i didn't take courses, but the
> certifications are totally stupid, so i don't figure you
> learn a whole lot more in the training sessions.
>
> a person with an mcse knows how to click pretty
> buttons and how to interpret pretty (?) dialogs, but
> know jack about computers or networks...

In all honesty, there's a difference between taking
MCSE-related classes and taking "Introduction to Windows
9x/NT/2000". Cost is a *huge* one.

The "Intro..." classes are the most basic you can get. They
are "Computer User 101". Right down to teaching people how to
double-click their mouse, drag-n-drop (although 90% of the
people who are taught it never use it outside of the class),
how to shut Windows down properly, etc, etc.

The MCSE classes are a *little* more advanced than that ;-).
The market for MCSE certified people has been seriously
diluted though.

I can see a "guidance counselor" asking a prospective student
if they like computers.

They reply "Uhhh, kinda... I haven't used 'em much".

The counselor responds, "How would you like to make $70,000 a
year as an 'MCSE' ??"

"Cool, dude... sign me up !!".

They then sign up for "Introduction to Windows..." !!

An MCSE here at work had the task of fdisking my old Linux box
;-( Another "admin" had to walk her through booting off a
floppy disk and starting fdisk. She was lost once it started
though. No buttons to click, no wizards to walk her through
the steps, no "Next" buttons...

Hehe, I need to boot up that box. I don't think the job got
finished.

Regards
Hall