Re: new to debian have questions

Calvin "Lamer"
Email: evil@debian.org.hk

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 02:01:30AM -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> > I use Outlook because I find it to be better than
> > any piece of shit MUA that I can run on Linux.  I
> > happen to find Linux rather lacking when it comes
> > to the desktop arena and when I actually have to
> > do work instead of playing, I need something that
> > works.  Windows NT (and Outlook, when it comes to
> > e-mail) happen to fit that bill quite well.

When you need to process 10,000 or 100,000 of emails, you will
find linux MUAs fast and robust. however, it's true that Outlook (express)
did the job quite well if mail is to be smaller than 100MB.
I'm a chinese, and as a kind of person claiming 'developership',
i have a house full of debian boxes, and have played all sorts
of source code, yet, i can't find of any way of implementing
chinese-compatible (TM) mail-and-news client - the only
solution i've think of, and yet established a bnit was to use perl
to code all the functions in outlook express into a linux-web application.

however, it's proved to be single-user-only and not usable in corporate
environment. anyone help? (hee)

> Maybe unix is just not the right thing for you (yet).

it's true that UNIX (tm?) is not the right thing for me at this moment, but
rather saying that it's completely not the right thing (tm) for me, rather
i would say that it is not the right thing for my desktop, and , hee

i bear the same kind of theory or philosophy as the original poster,
though a little bit more mild.

> No offense intended.

eh, me too.

> On unix, if you say that your mua is a piece of shit, it means that
> you are saying that you are a piece of shit, because you haven't:
> - read the manual page, which explains why it should do as it does;
> - read the source code, which explains why it doesn't as it should;
> - figured out how to configure it to not act as apiece of shit, but
>   instead make coffee, slice bread and do the washing up for you;
> - written a patch that makes it do your The Right Thing(tm) by default;
> - forked it to use the much cooler foo widget library instead;
> - created a dedicational website, that advocates all its limitations as
>   clueful, innovative or "standard" features;
> - tried some of the 500 mailer apps available for linux, some of which
>   already do all the above (on the internet, there's always three other
>   nutcases exactly like you).

no flames, not flameing also,

- instead of reading those f**king codes, why not use the time
to implement one? it's much easier to write code than to write posts
like this (and this explains why i'm "Lamer".)

> > For my servers, yes, they're all running Debian.
> Seriously, consider learning how to use dselect, if these servers
> represent any economic value.

I don't know where have i seen it, but it's called
a thing which will scare little boy (not exact wordings)

> > On the desktop, though, I need *real* applications
> > that allow me to actually accomplish things.
>
> I consider sed and awk applications that allow me to accomplish things.
> Other people say microsoft word is an application that allows them to
> accomplish things.  Likely, they're trying to accomplish different things
> than I am.

very true. but i've written some other weird things like, ASP generator,
with perl.. :)

i love awk when it comes to print $1...

> The only question is, what are all the people, who think that they
> need to fire up microsoft word if they want to send an email, trying to
> accomplish?  It reminds me of the times when I could surprise people by
> showing that their computer could actually do something else than just
> run wordperfect 5.1 from autoexec.bat (I stopped trying to explain that
> part pretty quickly).

i don't need Microsoft word to send email, i use outlook express, yet
i use TeX/LaTeX (with AMS templates) to do my office word-processing
tasks and they've proven to be beautiful and elegent.

> My favorite example of stereotypically clueless "requirements" for "real
> applications" is where daft management types would argue to me that
> excel is such a great tool and how one can do everything using excel.

Gnumeric did the job quite well, isn't it... :)

// boss stare mode on, email mode quit... reply below later..